A few weeks ago I changed our phone and broadband provider. Apparently I would receive a better service for less money. Well I can't complain about the phone, has been fine with no break in service. The broadband however has been a whole different story. We were provided with a new router, Netgear, same make as our old one so thought it should all be straight forward, and at first that's exactly how it seemed. The PC, phones and laptop all connected well. The xBox did not. After several phones calls trying to sort it we finally discovered that the router needed to running from channel 11. This kind of fixed the problem. The signal from the router just isn't strong enough, the only place to position it is at the back of the house, the xBox is at the front and upstairs. I finally had enough today, Nath's constant complaining was enough to send me over the edge, especially when he bought the bloody xBox downstairs. Off to PC World I go, an extension lead is what's required, nothing too long as I'm not moving the thing that far, just placing it in a more central position. Get to PC World, find the cable section and seek out what I'm looking for. If you want a cable with a male to male R45 fitting you're laughing, all lengths available. If you want a male to male R11 fitting you have the choice of two. 1.8m or 10m. Both the same price! I needed something around 5m. How ridiculous is that! I probably could've got what I wanted online but needed to sort this problem today, so I hand over £20, yes £20, and leave with 10m of sodding cable.
Once home and after five minutes of wrestling with the plastic packaging I free the spring like coil of cable. Move the router, switch it on, Bingo! I sent Elliot upstairs to check the xBox connection, reckoned it was fine, bearing in mind he has no idea. Check the PC's connection, bloody awful, really slow. Oh My God, give me strength. Hmmm, looks around the immediate area and removes a metal photo frame, speed restored. All I need to do now is wait for Nath to come home to test the bloody xBox, if it fails the damned thing will be thrown out of the window and Nath tied up with the sodding cable.

No comments:
Post a Comment